Joining a waste collection system
Under the Waste Act (646/2011), all properties used for residential or leisure activities must join a municipal waste collection system. In practice, this means joining a waste collection service. Properties must comply with the waste management regulations issued by the Lahti Region Waste Management Committee (Lahti Region Waste Management Authority), which complement legislation on waste management.
The 9 municipalities of the region are governed by uniform waste management regulations. These cover the sorting and collection of waste, the intervals between waste collections, and other similar matters.
WASTE COLLECTION SERVICE
While property holders are primarily responsible for organising waste collection, in some of the municipalities the collection is arranged by Salpakierto. Regardless of who is responsible for waste management, the same rules apply to the collection of household waste.
In the following areas, the Salpakierto arranges waste collection:
- Sparsely populated areas in Heinola (mixed and energy waste)
- Built-up areas in Heinola (biowaste)
- Kärkölä (mixed and energy waste)
- Artjärvi in Orimattila (mixed and energy waste)
- Centre of Orimattila (biowaste)
The Lahti Region Waste Management Committee decides on the fees charged for waste management services. Read more about waste charges.
In the other areas of the region, property owners/holders sign an agreement on waste collection with a service provider of their choice.
Contact a company offering property-specific waste collection services to join the waste collection system:
According to waste management regulations the collection of biowaste as well as packaging waste will be organized by the municipality (Salpakierto) in stages from 1.8.2023. After this also smaller properties with 1-4 dwellings can join the collection of biowaste and packaging wastes in all of the operating area of Salpakierto. Read more (in Finnish).
WASTE MANAGEMENT OPTIONS AVAILABLE TO PROPERTIES
- Waste bins at the property (waste collection): Collection of waste from the property is the principal method of organising waste management/collection. In this system, the property has its own waste bins or it rents them from the waste collection company. The bins are only used by the residents of the property. The collection service can be temporarily terminated if the property is unoccupied. This way, waste is either collected from the property at regular intervals or the service is terminated for a fixed period. Read more about the termination of waste collection.
- Shared waste container (a shared bin): adjacent properties located in areas covered by a local detailed plan or properties located along the same road in sparsely populated areas may decide to acquire a shared waste container. Read more about shared waste containers.
- Joining a regional collection point system (available only in the areas where Salpakierto arranges mixed waste collection for properties without road access or a possibility to join or to formulate a shared waste container). Joining a regional collection point is possible by contacting Salpakierto´s customer service.